Friday, July 19, 2013

Dessert "Bar"

I was recently asked to do a cake order for a large group of people (around 75) for a going away party for one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met!  She actually used to be my boss when I worked as the part-time receptionist at our local Pregnancy Care Center.  She is such an incredible woman, a woman of God who breathes scripture with every conversation, a light in the darkness, and a woman of great wisdom.  I LOVED working there, and one of the reasons I loved it so much was not only the ministry but working for such a wonderful woman who loves the Lord and seeks Him in all areas of her life.  It was such a blessing to me to work in the ministry alongside some truly wonderful women, I grew and learned SO much about God, life and myself while there.

So.... on to the dessert bar.  Rather than making one cake that would serve 75 people, with permission, I decided to make a few cakes and some cookies to offer some variety.  I think it worked out well, the cakes got great reviews at the party, and it gave me a chance to try some new recipes and really show a bit more variety of what I can do.

 Chocolate Buttermilk Cake with Ganache Frosting
 Vanilla pound cake with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

 This was my 1st time doing sunflowers, and I really like how they turned out.  I really feel like they would pop on chocolate frosting though over white.  Now I want to make a cake covered in sunflowers!
 Another hummingbird cake-- this thing was a HUGE hit!  My first time making it was in the last couple weeks for my Dad's birthday.  I had never even heard of it until then, as it turns out, hummingbird cakes are very popular, but many people said that you can't find them anywhere.  From what people were saying at the party, there's only one place in town that makes them.  Glad I made it, and glad everyone loved it so much.
 Peanut Butter cookies
... And my famous snickerdoodles, I say famous.  Really our family just loves snickerdoodles.  And so do the guys that Daniel works with when I made them for them last. 

It was such an honor to be asked to make all these lovelies for the party.  Baking truly is my happy place, and it's even better to bake in honor of such a wonderful woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment